MMM #3: Unleashing Anger
Calm down. Take a deep breath. Anger is violent, dangerous, and scary. All of these beliefs and stories about a very basic and normal human emotion have had major implications in our society. What if we could teach our men to express anger in a healthy, productive way?
- Being the “Nice Guy”
- Anger is DANGEROUS and bad
- Natural human emotion that must be experienced
- Anger is an AMAZING energy that gets to be expressed
- Men are walking around the planet like a fully-loaded weapon hiding behind a smile
- There is NO safe space for men to express anger in a healthy way
- Except for sports and entertainment (acting)
- Educating our children about their emotions
- Encouraging them to express themselves in a way that allows for unfiltered expression AND keeps themselves and those around them safe
- MEN stepping up to be the first to go, modeling what an embodied man looks like when he expresses the full range of emotions and comes back to center
- The Haka
- Pillow screaming activity OR Car scream
- FInd a safe place
- Let it RIP! – When you’re complete, take a deep breath and examine how you feel
- Afterwards, answer these questions
- How do I feel during this release?
- How do I feel after?
- Do I still believe that expressing my anger is bad/dangerous/scary/etc.?