“As a culture and society, what are we doing that’s pushing people into isolation and fear?”
The Misunderstood History of Masculinity & Patriarchy with Eric McDonald
From studying some of history’s ugliest aspects, Eric McDonald has gleaned vital truths about humanity and masculinity. As a writer, University professor, meditation teacher, and storyteller, Eric has an incredible way with words and talks about history from the heart. The conversation centers around the history of masculine culture and how it affects us today. The theme is RESPONSIBILITY – as simply complaining about the state of the world serves no one. We also cover why patriarchy is not inherently bad, how to find practical meaning in history, and why healing our ancestral wounds will transform the world.
- [04:11] How looking at the world through the lens of other cultures can lead to greater understanding.
- [07:50] Are our masculine norms derived from the Romans?
- [16:19] Is the subconscious perpetuation of racism and sexism a bigger problem than assummed?
- [18:00] Why patriarchy is NOT inherently bad
- [22:19] Why difficult conversations with those in your life can contribute to a positive shift.
- [24:20] Do we have to take responsibility for the sins of our ancestors?
- [30:11] What does it take to heal ancestral wounds?
- [32:41] Are we responsible for fixing the entire planet?
- [37:11] What modern day lessons did Eric learn from studying slavery?
- [43:15] Can we claim culpability and responsibility for our role in present day atrocities?
- [47:01] How capitalism and a profit-first mindset leads to exploitative dynamics.
Connect with Eric McDonald:
Website || WingedBard.com – blog with reflections on spirituality, mythology, and masculinity!
Instagram || @ericmcdonaldspeaks
Rising Man Links:
Instagram || @risingmanmovement
DOJO || A 4 day, carefully crafted sequence of rigorous exercises that will challenge the limits of your mental, physical, and emotional fortitude.
Men’s Circles || Are you ready to join other men JUST LIKE YOU who have found a way to RISE ABOVE life’s challenges and create a life of purpose and fulfillment? Join our online FIRE CIRCLE!
Online Course || IGNITE is a 12 week online program designed to ignite your purpose and propel you into freedom. Features weekly calls, online modules, growth assignments, and community support!
Initiation – Vision Fast || Compass is a 4 day 4 night Vision Fast in the wilderness, with preparation and incorporation calls in the months before and after.
YouTube || The Rising Man Movement
Dancing Bee Memorial Scholarship Fund || Supports our mission to provide young men with access to the medicine of nature, brotherhood, and transformational experiences.