MMM #13: Finding Your Formula
There is always something to learn from the successes and failures of others. However, we must not fall into the trap of copying someone else’s strategy completely. We all have a unique vision and get to write our OWN success formula. “Adapt what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” – BRUCE LEE
My wife and I were guest speakers on the Millennial Mindset Panel
- In Los Angeles, hosted by the one-and-only Virginia Lugo
- The topic was “Living Authentically”
- When I was sharing my story about authentic living, I was reminded of a quote I’ve heard my man Preston Smiles say time and again
- “Success always leaves clues”
- But, what if that’s only the beginning?
“Adapt what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” – BRUCE LEE
Stop trying to recreate someone else’s success story
- JUST as much insight for ME as it is for anyone else here listening
- How many times do we try to take a strategy that’s worked for someone else and duplicate it in hopes of achieving the same outcome?
- Here’s WHY this doesn’t work:
- Nobody has YOUR formula for success already scripted for you
- There’s no escaping the edge of learning, i.e. FAILURE
- Your vision for your life is UNIQUELY yours, therefore, the way you go about creating success on YOUR terms can only ever come from you
So, let’s let go of trying to “buy” someone else’s winning strategy in hopes of getting the same outcome.
- Because, it may work in the short term (i.e. make a few bucks, generate a little momentum)
- BUT, this will only delay your growth in terms of discovering your unique way of creating success and fulfillment in your life
- Spend 20 minutes brainstorming the way YOU would go about creating your business, means of income, and earning capacity IF there was NO way you could possibly fail
- It’s important to reflect from this context:
- If we already believed success was inevitable, our actions would be different
- More authentically aligned with our truth
- See what shows up in this brainstorming process
- What is different about the way you would conduct yourself?
- What is the same?
- Where can you apply ONE of these actions to your current strategy today that would make a WORLD of difference in your life?